Preparing for Winter Weather
Whether we like it or not, winter is well on its way. While we love building snowmen, cozying up by the fire, drinking hot chocolate and the holiday season, winter is not necessarily our car’s favorite season. Lucky for you and your car, Shults Ford is here to help prepare you for winter weather.
- Check the engine coolant: You car’s coolant is designed to keep your engine from overheating as well as protect it from corrosion. It’s important to make sure the coolant has the proper mix of water and antifreeze before the weather gets too cold.
- Check the oil: Typically when the temperature outside changes, the internal temperature of your engine changes as well. Since weather around Pittsburgh drops below freezing in the winter, you will want to switch to a thinner, less viscous oil. It will help protect internal temperatures.
- Check the battery: Batteries can be sneaky little parts. They don’t give us much notice before dying. During the winter, cold temperatures can reduce car battery life up to 50 percent. Have a mechanic test your battery before the cold weather really hits.
- Check your tires: When the roads get wet, snowy and icy, properly inflated tires will help guarantee better traction. If you’re really worried about the roads this winter, consider snow tires.
- Check windshield wiper blades and fluid: Nothing’s worse than getting in the car, it starts pouring, and your wipers do nothing but smear water around the windshield. Make sure that you not only check the condition of the blades, but also make sure wiper fluid is full.
As always, Shults Ford is here to make sure your car is all ready for winter weather. Bring it in today and have one of our certified mechanics give it a good inspection and replace anything that needs done. See you soon!